Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sounds, sight, smells, and taste; a play on senses.

A word worth noting: A foreigner here is a "farang", and this is a term that my ears have become attuned to picking out in conversations around me. Especially when I'm attempting to buy something or order food. My missteps in this area of daily life are often the source of giggles and out and out laughter. I am starting to learn my numbers, which I'm told is sort of the key to the way the whole language works. I've also discovered that in order to pronounce anything in this language properly, one must give up the notion that you sound ridiculous, because you will. The language is completely tonal and while the English language is much akin to playing a piano--the correct hammers at the correct strings in the proper chord--the Thai language is much closer to a slide trombone--it doesn't really matter how hard you blow so long as you sustain the note and bend it in the right place. I have a long way to go.

The weather is threatening again, but as before it seems to be backing off just when it seemed like it was getting set to rain for a month straight. We're supposed to go to the beach this weekend, so we'll see if this weather holds. Though, for me personally, a good thunderstorm at the beach isn't such an awful thing.

I've now had two classes with each section of english that I'm teaching, and I feel confident enough to say that things are going well and that these kids might actually learn a thing or two from me in the next couple of months. I was amazed at how many of their nicknames I was able to retain after just a single meeting. There are several students in each class that I have discovered to be the ones bright enough and willing enough to really help me out when I get stuck on something. These often tend to be the ringleaders/troublemakers in each class, but the saying "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer." seems to apply well to the classroom politics. In some cases i have already gone so far as to re-nickname a few students. One in particular, whose nickname is Nut (which is pronounced Nat) is so often cracking jokes and laughing to herself that I have just taken to calling her Smiley in class, which I'm fairly sure she doesn't understand, but it has not diminished her grin in the slightest. Another student in a different class, whose nickname is Tor (but you have to roll the R) has the only mildly annoying habit of asking me the most random questions ("Do you like hip hop music and can you dance for us?") at the most random times. I have re-nicknamed him Q, but he remains undeterred and continues to ask questions that have nothing to do with English.
There is one depressing note, and it's something I have not yet figured out how to handle. In my third class I have a utterly withdrawn girl who also happens to be almost completely blind. I have not yet figured out how to communicate with her on any useful level, as she basically refuses to talk to me or her fellow students, and is incapable of reading the board, the book, and as far as I can tell, cannot easily write. I am going to do my best to accommodate her, but I get the impression from her classmates that she is usually left to herself in the corner of the classroom regardless of the subject or teacher.
All in all, things continue to go well, and though I still have a great deal of grading to catch up on this weekend, I am looking forward to the beach. Last night I went to a local supermarket, or as my companions have coined it, "WalmAsia" I got some of the things I've been lacking, including a cell phone, which I was able to get with a warranty and some minutes prepaid for roughly $40. I discovered that there is no such thing as Dr. Pepper in this country, nor even any comparable knock-off, which makes my heart sink a little. They do, however, sell good beer everywhere, which after living in Maryland for four years, is a happy surprise!
As a final note, I find myself becoming rapidly addicted to street food of all kinds, and am not too surprised to report that the taste of a vendors products is usually indirectly proportional to the smell. Following my nose to the foulest smelling treats has made me immensely happy. In fact, I think I smell something awful I need to eat right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home