Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Touchdown

I've landed safely in Bangkok, and with the exception of a minor confusion at customs over where I would be living during my stay in Thailand, succseessfully navigated my way out of the airport and into the hands of a friend who knows the way to Assumption University. It was late when I arrived, but I still saw a number of the other Loyola College alumni teachers who are here. At this point though, I was practically falling asleep standing up.
My first impression of Bangkok from the back seat of a cab, is that it reminds me a good deal of parts of Mexico in terms of layout, types of buildings and establishments, and the fact that everything here, right on down to the traffic signs is in two languages, Thai and English. I had not expected this, and I think I am taking a little confidence from it. I had expected to be utterly and completely lost when it came to reading signs and navigating, not being able to read a lick of Thai.
Today I will get into my room and spend some time sitting in on some friends' classes. I will also meet the head of the English dept. here, my new boss, and hopefully get some more information about my class schedule and my transportation to and from my classes. There are still a lot of little logistical things that I don't know nearly enough about. I imagine the learning curve for me will be particularly steep. The weather since I landed has been pleasant, and this morning it is overcast and breezy, so the humidity is not bad at all.
Thus far, my favorite discovery has been the nature of the electrical wiring of the bathrooms here. The bathrooms are of the most efficient kind, combining toilet, sink, and shower into one small closet. This, to my mind, makes plenty of sense, considering the amount of time Americans (or the persons of dubious legal status they've hired) spend cleaning the bathroom. Here, it's just a matter of turning on the shower and keeping the drain in the floor from clogging. But what I don't understand is the electrical outlet built into the wall at chest height, directly opposite the shower head. Seeing this, I couldn't help but ask out loud, to no one at all, "At what point did this look like a good idea!?" I imagine this will amuse me, as the angry cat did, much more than it ought to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home