Sunday, August 06, 2006

Prologue

I've started this blog for a couple of reasons, the first of which is to keep those who might be interested (all three of you) informed on my antics and experiences in Bangkok. I also hope to have some record of my time abroad that I can consult later in life, when I write my largely self-aggrandizing memoirs. Practically speaking, a blog might hopefully keep my honest and keep me writing, if there's at least some false-impression that someone else is reading and waiting anxiously for the next installment.

The nature of my departure from the states and the events that have led me here are not really the subject of this blog--and to be fair, are more complicated and would require more analytical writing than this blog's intended tone could support--so let me cop out completely by saying that my departure was hurried and unexpected, but my desire to go was greater and overcame the inherent awkwardness and slowness of the governments and institutions involved. And that's all I have to say about that. For now.

To make a very long story short, I find myself at Logan International Airport in Boston at six am with two hours and fifty minutes to kill before my flight for JFK departs. ("Remember, Ryan, get there AT LEAST three hours before your flight leaves!") Normally at this hour I would have no trouble whatsoever passing out in an uncomfortable airport chair, but thanks to my recent travel hours and in no small part to the good folks at Dunkin' Donuts, I couldn't sleep right now if I wanted to. Besides, I managed to sit in the chair most directly in line with the sun rising through the tarmac window.


My hope is that this initial post will chronicle the roughly thirty-six hours of travel ahead of me. From here I hop south to New York, where I will sit in a likely equally uncomfortable chair for two hours before getting on a flight for Tokyo. I have two and a half hours to kill there, though I will likely find myself wandering around the terminal soaking in all the japanese I can't read, looking for sushi I can pay for in dollars, and resisting the urge to hum Mr. Roboto under my breath. From there, I catch a flight to Bangkok International Airport, the BKK. Where I will land, get off the plane, and stand there until someone I know finds me. Normally I would have more confidence in my ability to do more (like find my baggage) but given the language barrier and my projected exhaustion at that point, it is likely safer for me and the Kingdom of Thailand if I not attempt to do too much unsupervised initially.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home